Pages

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Post-Race Blues

Hey everybody!

What a week!  I don't know what to do with myself.  Last week ended the most stressful thing I have to do this semester.  Two weekends before that I finished my first half-marathon.  My schedule is pretty boring right now.  Weird, I know.  I catch a break and I don't know what to do with myself.  I'm still studying because I had a few tests and quizzes this week but other than that work is all I do.  My boyfriend kindly pointed out that I haven't seemed as happy as I was before I my race.  And he's right, I haven't been myself.  Even weirder, I know.  I'm having withdraws without running. :/

Yesterday, I was so determined to start training or just running again, I pulled out my Marathon Training for Dummies book that I got about three years ago.  Before I pulled out the book, I went for a much needed run which was the right first plan of action, but unfortunately found out I've lost my strength.  I only ran three miles yesterday and it was a struggle.  So training is going to kick me in the butt the first two weeks, again!

After my run, I began skimming through my book and noticed things I had highlighted in the past.  As I got halfway through the book the highlighting stopped.  I never finished the book.  So I turned to the back where all the marathons are listed and what happens after a marathon.  Since I already finished my first half I figured I'd see what it said.  Swear to goodness there is a chapter that is called Working Through the Post-Race Blues.  B was right! For the past three weeks I have been experiencing the post-race blues.  In this chapter it tells me what I'll feel like, what I need to do, and how to work through them.  SO I need to set another goal and continue running. 

As soon as I finished that chapter I moved on to the list of races.  There are so many that sound so amazing.  Did you know there are over 400 marathons held in the United States in one year?  That's MADNESS!  I also got a list from the fabulous Schwyn girl that listed the Top 10 races for First Time Marathoners.  I've narrowed it down to a few but I'm struggling with the time.  Both races I'm thinking about for the fall, fall on weekends that there are HUGE football games.  I know, it's just football but it's my senior year.  Making all the games is crucial to this season! (haha) So now I'm faced with picking one in the fall which is the perfect amount of time to train or wait until January or February to run the two races I know I can go to and have plenty of time to seriously prepare.  I just can't decide.  SO, in the mean time.  Training will begin.  Whether I have a race to run or not, I've got to keep running.  Who would have thought that running could make a girl happy? I thought it was only diamonds! :)

Until next time,

Kayla

3 comments:

  1. can you send me the list. I'm thinking of a fall marathon! johns53@auburn.edu

    ReplyDelete
  2. Umm... You are crazy! Glad you got yor step back though! You will be running marathon after marathon in no time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. fabulous schwyn girl....thats me!! :) love you!

    ReplyDelete