Pages

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Individuality

God made each and every one of us completely different.  There are not two of the same people on this Earth.  So why do people try to be like other people?  Why not be who you are and be proud of it?  Why do we try so hard to be something that we aren't?

Being an individual does not mean just looks.  I'm talking about personality, hobbies, and more! Every aspect of our live should be about us and not what other people want you to do.  Make your own decisions and be proud in what you choose.  Yes, you should be considerate but you should never alter yourself to be something that you do not want to be.

I have always considered myself to be pretty independent but as I take a look at my life I was only independent up until high school and as soon as I stepped into the sea of people four years older than me and all my friends were changing, my body was changing, and my interest were changing, I haven't been that independent.  In ninth grade, I thought it was crucial to have a boyfriend.  Without a boyfriend, I thought I would be no one!  While the first year was great and fun, I should have ended it when things took a wrong turn.  My senior year, I was determined to be single and just have a lot of friends.  That back fired and I dated a few people and had zero friends my age.  I became dependent on my family and didn't know who I was or what I wanted to be.  Coming to college was an opportunity to become myself again and for the first four months that is exactly what I did.  I was never more myself than I was in those first four months of college.  I learned a lot about myself and who I wanted to be in the next four years and after college.  Then I had my first college boyfriend and I went right back into my old ways of being dependent on him, my friends not liking him (for good reason), and no longer being who I wanted to be.  After that relationship ended, I felt myself slowly coming back to old self.  

Then I met my current boyfriend and I was NOT going to let myself not be me.  After dating for six months, I was still me.  That was impressive in itself.  Now we have been together for a year and some odd months and I'm pretty much still me.  I'm a better version of myself that's for sure but he brings out the best in me and for the most part I'm independent.  I'm just scared to take that leap of faith in doing things by myself in unknown territory.  He is my comfort zone and reaching beyond that is nerve racking.  Next year, we will both have job offers (fingers crossed) and they could be on opposite ends of the country or they could be together.  Who knows.  But I need to be willing to be my own person and know that everything is going to be okay.  Family and friends are my rock and having those people around me make me confident in who I am.  Being alone in this big world can be intimidating.  BUT I am still me and I will always stay true to who I am and what I want to do/be.  Do not be afraid (like me) to take that leap of faith.  I am working on it and hope to continue to grow and become the woman I want to be in life.  Be yourself and do NOT let anyone change you.

Stay true,

Kayla

No comments:

Post a Comment