Pages

Monday, April 11, 2011

Career Choices

When you were a little kid people always asked, "What do you want to be when you grow up?"  My sister being the cute little kid she was would say, "I want to be a teenager!"  Since she has reached that career step, she now wants to be a teacher.  (More power to her!)  My Mom knew at the age of 16 she wanted to be an accountant (even though that meant skipping her birthday celebration every year).  For me, the answer was never clear.  I don't have a distinct time in my life that I remember saying any profession in particular.

Coming into college, my studies took me in the direction of nutrition which is something I'm very passionate about.  After a few struggles in those brutal science classes, I was urged to pick something else that would suit me better.  Personality tests revealed I needed to be in charge.  Really? I could have told you that with a home video of myself when I was four years old!  The counselor told me, "You're just like your mom, except you don't need to be stuck at a desk."  Okay, so where does that put me?  Active, manager, helping people, you got it.  Hotel & Restaurant Management.

Going into this major, I was filled with joy.  I finally found something that fits my personality.  Working in the industry has made me realize this is the right place for me except for the long hours.  I would consider myself a hard-worker but I also consider myself a big family and friends person.  Working long/late hours makes me concerned I won't see them as much.  I know there will always be a few crazy nights I'll be working while everyone else gets time off (holidays).  I just hope I can find something that suits me.

Finishing the last few weeks of my junior year, I have no idea where I'm going to end up in a year.  I have so many interest in life that I can't imagine having one job for the rest of my life.  I would love to be a Tweeting, blogging, fitness guru, restaurant/bar manager, sommelier, traveling, and planning events.  Surely I can find a job to fit that description, right? haha  Is there such a thing as getting cold feet about career choices? It seems like everyone around me knows exactly what they want to do with their life.  I know what I want out of life.  I just can't seem to get it all to fit into one.

Until Next Time,

Kayla

No comments:

Post a Comment