Pages

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

One Uppers

Why do people insist on putting you down by being a one upper?  Yeah, I guess it works, you get me down.  BUT more than anything, it is annoying.  No one wants to be friends with someone who always has something better to say.

A friend is someone who listens and helps you with your life.  I have learned a lot about that this semester and I'm still working on it A LOT! My listening skills (I hope) have improved but I can't stand to listen to people when the only thing they have to say to me is "I'm better than you." (of course in a more subtle way).

People are selfish.  I will be the first person to admit, I'm extremely selfish! I almost always talk about myself, what's going on in my life, what I want to do, what I think is best, and more and more about me me and me.  At least I realize it and I'm very very slowly starting to work on asking about other people's day's, lives, problems, and anything else they want to talk about.  But if you know I have a goal or a problem or have failed at something DO NOT rub it in my face that you did it better than me.  It's rude and it just makes me hate you more.

I am an extremely competitive person.  I find when I'm talking about myself that is most of the time when I'm unfortunately being a one upper.  So yes, this is a blog about something that drives me crazy but it's also something I do.  So, I want to take this time to apologize to anyone I may have put down, rubbed something in your face, made you feel less important, or just pretty much said "I'm better than you."  I am so sorry and I hope I can work on making my conversations more about the people I'm talking to rather than myself.

Sincerely,

Kayla

No comments:

Post a Comment