Pages

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

We are the Champions!

We are the Champions, my friend *sing in Queen's voice*!!! :D  I can't believe that we actually won the National Championship.  It still hasn't set in.  I guess that's why I've driven/walked by Toomer's a total of six times just to look at the toilet paper! I swear it's prettier than snow.  Speaking of snow, the little "Snow Storm" the south had was non existent in Auburn, AL.  While my mother and sister got a good four-five inches of snow only 100 or so miles above me, Auburn got windshields covered in 1/4th of an inch of ice.  The state of Alabama doesn't see snow very often so when they do the whole state shuts down until there is nothing left on the ground.  My sister has been out of school for three days and Auburn was closed for two because..... well we'll just say it was for the National Championship because there was no snow. :)

Today, I embarked on my first day of classes in my second semester of my junior year.  I can't believe I am this old.  College has flown by.  I am taking some not so interesting classes this year but I'm also taking some classes that I'm so excited about I might just quit school now to start my career in these classes.  The two I'm talking about are Catering & Event Management and Club Management.  I know what you are thinking: "Is this girl serious? Is she actually going to school to take a class on that?" Why yes, yes I am.  Call it what you want (MRS degree, joke classes, etc.) I LOVE my major!! While I still think it should be called Hospitality Management, I'm enjoying my professional electives already and I haven't even been to Club Management yet.

I had an interview today for an internship I've been wanting since before Thanksgiving.  I hope everything turns out my way because I turned down the best opportunity any college kid could get.  This past fall, I applied to the Disney College Internship Program, got a position, and turned it down.  I know, I know.  You are thinking again: "This girl is crazy! She takes joke classes in college and can work for Mickey Mouse for a semester paid and she turned it down?!"  Well, after reviewing everything, I came to the conclusion that the position wasn't where I wanted to get my experience.  This opportunity would have opened doors to anywhere I wanted a job because let's face it, nobody does hospitality like Disney!  So here's to hoping I find an internship that will be spectacular, paid, and in a position that I can get the experience I want.

I'm going to go ahead and call myself superwoman this year.  I know it's conceded but let me explain myself.  I am taking 17 hours this semester, I have a job that I work crazy hours for but enjoy very much, I am planning a Gala for my Catering & Events class, I might be taking on a small second job, AND I am an SOS Orientation Leader.  You probably understand where most of my superpowers will be going towards except you might not know what an SOS Orientation Leader is.  Well, SOS is a sophomore/transfer/students who cannot attend Camp War Eagle, orientation program that the orientation leaders (that's me) run.  We help get these students on the right track to have a successful career at Auburn University.  If you don't know me then you might not know yet that I'm crazy obsessed about Auburn University.  I love knowing facts about this place that nobody knows, I love the people/atmosphere, and most of all I love love love everything about this campus.  Some of the tasks an orientation leader is in charge of is giving tours of the campus, leading a small group of students in discussions about the classes/Auburn/stuff you need to know to get you around this place.  Tomorrow, I have my first knowledge test.  The information for the first one is just the fight song and the alma mater.  The second test, OMG! Please keep your fingers crossed for me and say a little prayer.  It is a TON of information and one of the things is knowing the creed which will probably be the easiest thing on that test. :/  BUT I wanted to test my knowledge so I'm going to type it out for you and I promise I'm not looking.

Alma Mater: On the rolling plains of Dixie, Neath it's sun kissed sky, Proudly stands our Alma Mater, Banners high. To thy name we'll sing thy praise, From hearts that love so true, And pledge to they our loyalty, the ages through.  We hail the Auburn and we vow, to work for thy just fame, And hold in memory as we do now, Thy cherished name.

Fight Song: War Eagle fly down the field, Ever to conquer, Never to yield, War Eagle fearless and true, Fight on you orange and blue, Go Go Go, on to vict'ry strike up the band, Give 'em hell, Give 'em hell, stand up and yell, hey! War Eagle, win for Auburn power of Dixie Land!

Well I know the fight song but the Alma Mater might be a little messed up.  Thanks for the practice.  I hope everyone is having a blessed week and until next time....

WAR EAGLE!
Kayla :)

No comments:

Post a Comment