Pages

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Happy New Year!

I love the start of a new year.  It always makes me happy because it's like a fresh start.  It wasn't that way in high school but college definitely has a new start because you have all new classes starting which makes it more enjoyable. 

I use to never make new year's resolutions.  Well I did, I just never kept them.  Last year, my sunday school teacher (Dr. Lynch) put forth a challenge to make our new year's resolutions and actually keep them.  He was going to help us keep them by sending an e-mail out with what our goals were for the year sporadically that way we would actually stick to them.  July 5th, 2010, Dr. Lynch passed away.  He was such an amazing guy and friend.  Someone I could always turn to with my issues and know that he would never judge me and he would help me the best he could.  I kept all my new year's resolutions except one thanks to Dr. Lynch.  Because of him I am making new year's resolutions from here on out in honor of him and making sure I keep them.

On June 26th, Dr. Lynch finished participating in a sprint triathlon in 1:28! The one new year resolution I did not complete was running in a marathon.  This year one of my new year's resolutions is to run in a half marathon and hopefully the motivation of finish a half-marathon will push me to do a full marathon by the end of the year.  My Dad is training with me.  He was training with Dr. Lynch before he passed to do a triathlon with him (not as seriously training as Steve but putting forth a lot of effort ;D). 

While a half/full marathon is one of my new year's resolutions I have a few more.  I put to make good grades (All A's/B's) on my resolutions again this year.  It worked pretty well last year with my spring semester finishing with a 3.75 GPA and ending up on the Dean's list and the fall semester with a 4.0 GPA! I'm pretty sure that's the best I've done since the eighth grade. (haha)

I have always been a pretty independent person but have recently started being clingy.  This year I hope to be more independent.  Girls nights, nights to myself, not asking for much of anyone, and really just becoming my own person again.  The people that are in my life are very important and special people.  I'm not cutting them out just starting to be more appreciative of everything they do for me, realizing that I don't need them to do everything for me and that everything I want I don't always need.

I am in the second semester of my junior year (technically a senior with hours) and starting to realize that life is about to hit me in the face.  I graduate in a year and one semester and then move to a new town with a real job and bills to pay.  Oh fun! While I can't wait for real life to actually set in, it is definitely creeping up on me fast.  I will be in search for an internship for the summer which should be a baby step into what will happen to me in 2012. 

Be sure to keep reading to see how the year goes and how much things are changing.  I hope everyone has a blessed and happy new year.  Take on your new year's resolution to make yourself feel accomplished.  You can do it.  If you need help staying on task remember Dr. Lynch and maybe I'll be able to help just a little.  I'll be reminding you of mine throughout the year.  :)

Bringing in the new year with power,
Kayla

No comments:

Post a Comment