Pages

Monday, February 14, 2011

Valentine's Day

Happy Valentine's Day or as some people refer to it as Singles-awareness Day!

I had a revolution this year.  Valentine's day has never been my favorite holiday.  I think it's just another way for Hallmark to stay in business.  When I was little I always referred to Valentine's day as the day at school where you would get tons of Valentine's cards from all the kids in your class, but you had to be careful which ones you chose for certain people in your class because you didn't want them to think you had a crush on them.  It was always fun seeing which Valentine's cards had suckers attached or the little heart's in bags with the sayings.  As I grew up Valentine's day turned into a "OMG, he likes me. I have a Valentine. He better not break my heart." AND after a few Valentine's days of always being cheated on or hurt I completely turned my back against this holiday.

This year, Valentine's day is not about the boy or the stuff; it's just about the meaning.  Valentine's day is a day to show the people you care about most in your life just how much you truly love them and care for them.  I am so appreciative of my family.  They support me in so many ways and are always there for me no matter what.  I am very thankful for my friends.  Without them I would still be dating the guy that hurt me.  And lastly, I'm extremely thankful for my boyfriend.  I have never been more myself than I am at this point in my life.  I can't give him all the credit but he has played a huge role in that.

To everyone that is against Valentine's day, just stop and be thankful for everything you have.  You have at least one-two people who care about you more than you will ever know: your parents.  Your grandparents who you might not see that much can still touch your heart just by a small post on your Facebook wall.  Your animals, they will love you unconditionally.  You can say all you want, I don't have a boyfriend, I'm single on Valentine's day, but in reality you have so many people in your life who care about your happiness.  I hope everyone was able to enjoy Valentine's day in some way.  I spent mine with my girlfriends, a home-cooked meal from my mother, and the Bachelor.  Be thankful for who is in your life and don't take any second, minute, or day for granted.  You never know when they might not be there anymore.

Sending my love your way if you still feel like you don't have anyone,

Kayla

No comments:

Post a Comment