Pages

Monday, February 21, 2011

Interviews

Is it weird that I love interviews? Probably, because most people stress over them to the extend of perspiring through their suits.  When I first came to Auburn interviewing was my weakest point.  I couldn't get through an interview without making a complete fool of myself.  Now, interviewing is like meeting new people.  Talking about yourself and your interests, it's one of the easiest things people can talk about.

I have always had a job.  Since before it was legal and as soon as I turned sixteen I got my first "real" job.  I didn't interview much in my small town but once I came to college it seems that interviewing is a monthly activity.  Interviewing for organizations, for work, and for friends.  Interviewing became one of those things you just weren't going to be good at unless you practiced, practiced, practiced.  I have interviewed so much in the past year that interviewing after college should hopefully be a little easier.  I know those interviews are a lot more stressful because you have a full-time job at risk but hopefully with all this practice I'll be able to put my best self forward.

In the next couple of weeks, I will hopefully be interviewing for a leadership position at the hotel.  It is an hour and a half interview of questions solely on leadership and what it entails.  Phone interviews are great because as long as you are smiling as you talk you don't have the intimidation of someone writing down every answer you say right in front of you.  Some of the best I advice I ever got for interviewing was to smile through your voice, be yourself, and don't be afraid to pause.  It's better to pause than say "um" or "like".

Go ahead and prepare yourself for some always asked questions.  Never fails, every interview I can remember doing has asked: 1. What are your strengths? 2. What are your weaknesses? 3. Tell us about yourself and 4. Do you have any questions?  That last question is more important than you think.  That in itself is asking "Are you really interested in this company?" With a quick answer of "no" that quickly sends your information to the trash can.  Even if I think I know everything I could know about the position I am applying for I find something to ask.  Reiterate what they have already asked you and make sure you have the right information about it or ask when you might expect to hear back from them.  It's always nice to know that after 30 minutes of hearing your ramble on and on about yourself they have the same opportunity to tell you even more about themselves or the company/organization they are affiliated with.

This blog probably means nothing to anybody reading this but I had some free time and writing is a way of relaxation.  I don't get much time to just write so thanks for letting me talk about absolutely nothing meaningful today.

Happy Interviewing!

Kayla

No comments:

Post a Comment