Pages

Monday, June 4, 2012

First Week in a New Chapter

Last week I moved to Washington, D.C. to start my life as a professional woman. I had no idea what to expect all I knew is I was exited for something new and different. As my last post stated, my parents helped me move everything in and get me ready for this huge transition. They left on Wednesday morning. The first realization of being alone in this big city started that night. I kept thinking to myself, what have I done? How will I make friends? All I have is work here. No clubs or college activities to keep me meeting new people. After consulting with Brenden, I began to feel a little better. I'm outgoing and fun. I can meet people.

Thank goodness my first day of work was the next day to keep my mind off being alone. I had a great first day. Once all the paperwork was finished, I was immediately given my first assignment. A very large one at that. So for the 8 hours I'm at work it consumes my time. Thank goodness my professors made me do competitive analysis and PowerPoint presentations all through my four years. I feel confident I can knock this first assignment out of the park.

In the words of my boss, I am to be a sponge for the next few weeks. Friday was my first full day of work and wow was it full of information. I left that evening a little later than the office was open. But I know this will be my first of many nights I'll leave a little late.

The weekend came and went and was full of activity. So I was beginning to feel like I wouldn't be alone after all. I kept myself busy and realized the more things I do the easier it will be to get through this. I also realized why people get married right after college. It would definitely make this transition a lot easier. But part of my journey is to learn to be independent. And I will do just that.

Today, I worked a half day because I am flying out to Chicago in about 30 minutes. Chicago is a dream place for me to go (and one day live in). I will be there for a week soaking up information about this new position.

After 22 years of being taught about life and prepared to go into the real world, you never realize how hard it will be to make it. People warn you, but it's not nearly big enough. I am excited about this challenge and chapter in my life. It comes with a lot of changes but I know I will come out just right.

Kayla

1 comment:

  1. This is really crazy! BTW I like reading your posts your a fun writer

    http://abpetite.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete