Pages

Monday, June 25, 2012

Are You Aware?

I've been doing a lot of research lately on the different channels social media offers to BILLIONS of people all over the world.  I found this picture while I was doing research and thought it was definitely worth mentioning.  This is what is happening on the web every minute of every day! How amazing are those numbers? 

Have you ever thought about the billions of people that can view your data?  Whether you have it private or public it is all still accessible.  Once you are on the web, you cannot be taken off.  Most of the research I've been doing I have to make sure I type 2012 after the search or I could get articles and data from 2006 or earlier!  Next time you are making a post, think about what you put online.  I am so guilty of this! Most of the time I post with the thought that my followers and friends are the only ones that can see my data.  However, I'm not private on most of my sites so there are plenty of people that could search for my name or anything I could be talking about and it can pop up in a search engine.

Try Google searching yourself.  What do you find?  Now if you have a name like John Smith it might be a little different than a more unique name.  When I search my name, the first link that pops up is my Twitter account.  The next few links are not related to me but then take a look at the images.  The first image is my picture from my college job as an orientation leader coordinator.  You have no idea how much information you can find on yourself.

I am writing this blog to make you aware that it isn't just you sitting at a computer.  It is you and billions of people that you have no idea who they are.  I have been active on the internet since the 7th grade.  Probably not my smartest choice, but I've always been intrigued by it.  I am aware of the severity but still post a lot of data DAILY.  I do not want to turn anyone against these interesting products and sites but please be careful what you put on the web.  It can never be erased.  A delete button only takes it away from your eyes, not the universe.


No comments:

Post a Comment