Pages

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Awkward Work Encounters

Being new to the business world and not technically studying business, it's needless to say, I do not know much about this crazy intense world.  In the last few weeks, I have become a lot more business oriented just by being around it.  I've learned it's not okay to stare in bewilderment when you meet the president of a department. It's okay to just listen in meetings when you are new and have nothing of value to say. And it's imperative that you know the latest news (world, nation, local, politics, sports, lifestyle, and especially industry news).  You will be tested.  Whether in casual conversation, in meetings, or out on a business lunch/dinner.

However, there are many more things that I'll never understand.  Having the awkward conversations with your boss or asking for an expensive item that you know you'll need to expedite your work are never fun.  It will probably never get easier having all those weird encounters but I know that comes with every job.  It's how you handle the situation that makes it easier to deal with.  Take a few breaths and just go talk to them.  What's the worst that can happen? They fire you? haha

I have been extremely blessed in that I love the work I do and I am so lucky to have found this company right after graduation.  The learning experience has been exponential (already and we haven't even launched).  I know some of you know the company I am working for and some of you may not.  I wish I could broadcast it to the world but for the time being I have to keep it a secret.  I trust the people who do know not to blab their mouths (please!) but encourage them to talk about what I do.  This is going to be great.  Stay tuned for a blog post about the launch of our company and I hope you will love it!

1 comment: