Pages

Friday, May 27, 2011

Looking Back

WOW, how time flies.  My sister is officially a senior in high school.  Ryan has finished his freshman year and I will be looking for real jobs in less than a year.  I feel like it was just yesterday we were all playing in the streets with Logan until 8pm when Mom would yell at us to come in.  (GOOD TIMES!)

Now that I have been in college for almost four years and I have had the amazing opportunity to help transfer students get acquainted with Auburn and helped Freshman students figure out what classes they should take to help them succeed in the next four years, I've had some time to reflect on how much I wish I would have known and figure out just how much I have learned.

Coming into Auburn I really wish I would have known just how fast those four years really go.  People always tell you, "It will be here before you know it" but you really have no idea how fast it sneaks up on you.  Even though I still have one more year left, I just keep thinking about how fast these last three went by and I know this year is going to go even faster.  And with the time flying by so fast, you really have to enjoy every minute of it.  For the most part, I feel like I've done that.  I did things I never thought I would do and I learned so much about myself in the passing time.  I tried out for numerous clubs my freshman year with unsuccessful attempts.  I died my hair on numerous occasions with my first best friend at Auburn, Morgan.  I joined a sorority which I never thought I would do but I met the most amazing girls and I do not know where I would be without them.

Doing all these things taught me a lot about myself.  People can tell you who you are all the time but you won't truly know who you are until you do things for yourself.  Do things that make you uncomfortable (but that you know are moral, lol).  Do not NOT do something because a significant other things you shouldn't do it.  If they really love you they will support you with whatever decision you make.  Take advantage of every opportunity placed in front of you because you never know what the future may hold.

Coming into freshman year, I thought I knew everything (on the outside) but really I didn't know a thing.  The year from graduating high school to ending freshman year made me realize just how much I really did not know.  Ask for help, get to know your professors (they will help you get jobs! They know people!), get involved, study but do not turn down the opportunities to go places with friends, and most importantly do not forget who you are.  First off, learn who you are and then stay true to yourself.  You might find out you are nothing like who you were in high school and that's okay.  I discovered that and I think I'm doing better now that I have could of dreamed for myself to do in high school.

To my sister who is about to start her senior year: Do not live in regret.  Remember that there is a bigger world outside of Oxford, AL! It's huge and there is so much to do and see!

To my brother who is in the midst of a wonderful college career: keep doing what you are doing but do not be afraid to do something out of your comfort zone.  Try new things and enjoy every second of everything you do! You will be a senior before I can blink!

And to all my readers: read this blog again if you ever find yourself not living life to the fullest.  Be happy and do not let things bring you down.  Grudges, fights, bickering, complaining and negativity will not give you what you want.  Stay positive, happy, and smiling.  Even if you are having a rough day, putting a smile on your face will always make it better.

Until Next Time,

Kayla

No comments:

Post a Comment