Pages

Monday, May 9, 2011

California Wine Tour: Day 2

I'm writing a little early today but this is the free time that I have and didn't want to miss any details.  This morning we enjoyed a wonderful breakfast at Marinus.  This restaurant is on location at Bernardus Lodge but is rated a top restaurant to go to in California.  (A guy we meet in Carmel said HE thinks it is better than The French Laundry, which is a really prestigious restaurant.)  After three cups of coffee, we listened to a lady by the name of Carol who is the destinations manager for CCM&E.  This traveling company has helped plan our whole trip.  Listening to Carol this morning solidified my desire to work with people and make their dreams come true.  She plans fabulous events and meetings for people all over the state of California and all over the U.S.  The events/meetings she plans are unlike any other because they are all specialized for each customer.  Carol cares about her customers and it shows.  She puts thought into details most people wouldn't think about.

After soaking up all the information I could about working with events, we hopped on the bus and headed to Sleepy Hollow where the Talbott Estates Winery is located.  This winery was so much fun to go to.  We listened to their winemaker, Dan talk so honestly about the winemaking process.  Simple put, he says, "It isn't winemaking.  The grapes know what to do.  They were designed to make wine.  There is no art in winemaking and I'm not a winemaker."  Talbott is a family owned winery and all of their wines are named after Mr. Talbott's kids (Kali Hart and Logan).  We were able to walk through their vineyard, talk and ask questions with Dan, and see the fermentation process.  The most interesting thing is how different everyone's wines are. Everyone has their own style of "winemaking" and Talbott is simply a wine that mimics exactly what they grow in their fields.

One thing I have learned today from numerous people (sponsors, sales director, random people in Tiffany's) is that you can have a plan of your life all you want but you can never plan everything.  Being passionate about something and taking steps to pursue that passion is the most important thing you can do for yourself.  As long as you are doing what you love and are talented in it you will be a happy and successful person.  What I'm taking away from today is following my heart and passion.  I have a lot of passions so following just one will be the most challenging part.

Tonight, we are dining at Bernardus Lodge in the wedding garden.  Bernardus is also a winery so we will be enjoying their fine wines along with a fabulous dinner prepared by Chef Cal.  If you have a passion for food and wine this is the place to live.  The food is spectacular and the wine matches every dish just perfectly.  My body is going into shock the amount of food I have consumed in the past day but I'm indulging in every thing that is put before me on this trip.  As Dan says, why enjoy an aged wine when you can enjoy what is here in the moment?

Living life to the fullest,

Kayla

3 comments:

  1. Indulge to the nth degree, feel no guilt, next week might not offer the same level of wonder. Love ya~ A. Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the photo of the baby grapes. They look like the little ones starting on the front fence of our house in San Diego. Last year we had 40 bunches of grapes from one vine after pruning. Hope you are enjoying the California life style. Pretty soon you will become a convert like Kathryn and Steven.

    Your Uncle Gordon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aunt Jackie,

    That's what I keep telling myself! I won't know what to do without Foie Gras for dinner every night! :)

    Uncle Gordon,

    I had no idea they were that small. It amazes me they turnout to be a huge cluster of grapes. I hope to convert one day! The California lifestyle seems perfect!

    ReplyDelete