Pages

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Roller-Coaster of Passion

Since I have moved to DC the weather has been all over the place.  I've experience a "cold" (50 degree) mornings and highs around 70, the power has gone out for 24 hours due to thunderstorms with winds at 70 mph, and temperatures in the 100's.  No snow, just yet, but I know it's coming for me in the winter.

The weather has been all over the place just like my running, training, and workouts.  I set a New Year's Resolution to have a purpose for my workouts.  Not to just go out and run aimlessly through the neighborhood but to have passion behind my workouts.  Yesterday was the second workout since I've been here that I actually had that passion.  My first was in the gym about two weeks ago when I hit my first low of missing everybody and wishing I was at home.  I hit the weights really hard and my body paid for it for the rest of the week.  I was so sore my passion dwindled from my workout for the rest of the week.

Yesterday, I rekindled that fire.  I came home, after work, and was stir crazy from sitting in an office at a computer all day.  So, I set out for what's been my usual since I moved here 2.5-3 mile run.  Once I got out on the road, I channeled everything into that run.  I found a 2 mile loop around my neighborhood with shade and a safe area that I was able to run twice!  I haven't ran more than 3 miles probably since April.

Now, I've mentioned to you all before, music keeps me going and yesterday was no exception.  Last week, I started to want that passion again.  So, I started a new workout regimen and made a new playlist. Thanks to Pinterest, I had a rocking playlist and a workout plan that was going to challenge every part of my body.  Even though I started this program last week, I was just going through the motions of the workout.  Feeling the burn, for sure, but not enjoying it like I use to.

After completing my run yesterday I walked down the hallway to my apartment with my arms in the air over my head and my fists clenched.  I was finally back with the drive to WANT to run.  I've done most of my runs early in the morning, because of the weather, but they have been really lonely.  My music wasn't "pump you up" kind of music.  I just kept wishing there was someone running beside me or that I knew the people I was passing like I did in Auburn.


After realizing I had this burn back in me I've decided I need to set another goal for myself.  My cousin and I have mentioned another half-marathon but I can feel deep in my stomach that my body wants to do a full.  I just need to get that feeling in my head in order to commit to the idea.  I hope I can keep up this passion for my workouts/runs.  It is great feeling.


If you are losing that passion in your workouts/runs, or if you have never really had it, try something new.  You will never keep or get that passion without doing something you love to do.  Workouts shouldn't be a miserable thing.  If you love to dance, try Zumba.  If you like to spend most of your time in quite places, try yoga.  If people energize you, try any group fitness class.  There are so many different workouts you can try to find that passion.  And if you still can't find anything you like, get in touch with me.  I will help you figure it out.  I promise you, once you get that feeling when you workout, you won't ever want to stop.

1 comment:

  1. I recently have gotten into trail running and have fallen in love with running all over again! I totally understand your feeling for passion! Good Luck with your full! It is such an amazing feeling to finish the whole 26.2!

    ReplyDelete