Pages

Monday, July 23, 2012

Distance Makes the Heart Grow Fonder

For the last two weeks, I have had the people I love the most come and visit me in DC.  Two weeks ago, my Mom and sister came for five days and I was able to take a day off from work to spend extra time with them.  We had a blast and I was soo happy to see them.

Brenden came this past weekend for less than 48 hours.  We hadn't seen each other since mid-May so he was due for a visit.  While the weather was gloomy, we had the best weekend.  The best we had had in a long, long time.  Before we went our separate ways this summer it seemed fighting was the only way we could communicate.  I was dreading the distance.  I thought, if we can't communicate when we live two miles away from each other how the hell are we going to be able to communicate 1,200 miles apart?

The distance made us realize we had to work on our biggest problem, communication, or this was going to fail.  I would not wish long distance relationships on anyone.  However, after these last eight weeks, I would say it is worth a shot.  Before May, I was the most skeptical person when it came to long distance relationships actually working.  I've had plenty of people who have dealt with long distance to show me it can work but I never had enough faith in myself or someone else to actually make it work.

The key to making the distance work is communication.  That's all it is.  And of course a little give and a little take.  B and I were able to have longer conversations without fighting because the only connection we have had is talking to each other.  Before you leave each other, make sure you have a date set for the next time you are going to see each other.  It makes the 'good-bye' or 'see you later' a little easier.

My best friend, Holley and her husband Zack, and my parents were both excellent role models in making a long distance relationship work.  I have been so lucky to have them help me through this distance and provide me with tips on how to make it work.  It is possible.  Now with (hopefully) only ten months left in our year apart we will be able to stay together and be a stronger couple because we challenged our relationship.

If you have tips on how to make a long distance relationship work, please leave your tip below.  I would love to have some more insight to this.  It has only been two months into this long year for us so we still have many more hurdles to jump over.  If you have questions about making your long distance relationship work, I am no expert by any means, but I am willing to provide the  best insight I can. 


2 comments:

  1. Been there, done that! Not as far apart as y'all are, but it was hard, nonetheless! Sounds like you're doing it all right...communication is key, and enjoying every minute you get to spend together! No time for petty fights when you only get one weekend together every month or two. It is hard work, but anything worth having is worth working for. I will also say that I think our marriage is immensely stronger because of the period of long-distance that we did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right. The little fights seem to go away when there is all that distance. You and Eric were/are another perfect example of this hard work. It is definitely worth working for. I hope to one day have a marriage like that! Thanks Monica!

      Delete