Pages

Thursday, July 19, 2012

How Bad is Life Really

Have you ever had a life event put your life into perspective?  I'm sure we all have had some kind of life event that has effected us in a way that we will never forget.  This week, I started following three gentlemen on Facebook that I do not know.  All three are US Army Soldiers and are at the Medical Center in Bethesda (10 minutes away from my office) where they are having surgery every three days to fight infection in their amputated leg(s).  They are also fighting to keep their arms without having them amputated as well.  I don't know any of these guys but it is a life event that has put my life into perspective.

I have had minor issues this week, hell my whole life, compared to these gentlemen.  Everyday I get on their Facebook page and read their updates and I am amazed by they're strength and progress.  It makes me cringe that people complain everyday because of the most minor issues.  My mind has been filled this week by the dramatic changes that will effect their lives forever.  Everything I have done this week, from driving to work to trying to balance on one leg during a workout, I have thought about how their life has been forever changed. This tragedy will effect them and their families for the rest of their lives but yet they are still positive and staying strong.  Our minor issues, from losing weight to car repairs, cannot even compare to their sacrifice.  

These men are American Heroes.  They have sacrificed their legs for us to live safely in America.  Next time you are having a rough week, think about the million of men and women who have fought for our country and are living (or not living) with injuries because they don't even know you and they decided to sacrifice themselves for you.


Many of us know at least one person who has served in the military.  Take a moment to thank them for the service they provided you.  And next time you see a soldier just take a moment to say thank you.  After you walk away from them, think about everything they gave up so that you could walk around this world and not have a care in the world.  We all have issues that come up, big and small.  I'm not saying that your issues are any less important.  I just want people to realize that it could always be worse.  When you think you are at your lowest point, think again.  I promise you someone is suffering worse than you are.  Find strength in that and pull yourself together.  Stay strong and believe in yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment