Pages

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Is It Always Necessary to Say How You Feel?

I wanted to write a different blog today but had some emotions on my shoulders.  Yesterday, Auburn beat Florida! WAHOO!  The game was amazing because 1. it was Florida 2. they are in the SEC which always makes for a fun game and 3. it was a night game! The only thing not enjoyable about the game were this two guys sitting in front of me bashing Auburn the entire game.  And might I add, they were Auburn students.

I'll start from the beginning (sorry if you have already heard this story): The first kick of the game, Florida receives.  The two guys in front of me begin... "Trotter sucks.  I hope he realizes what he's doing to us.  I can't believe they would let him start this week."  Let me remind you, we are on DEFENSE!!! Trotter is not even on the field.  So I bite my tongue.  We get on offense and Trotter has a few bad plays but everyone makes mistakes.  Let's move on.  Oh no! These two guys insisted on yelling and screaming about everything he did, every play the coaches called, and everything else that could have possibly been good or bad on the field (If we scored, they didn't like how we did it).  By this time maybe 5 minutes has passed in the first quarter.  I am not going to be able to enjoy this game unless I say something to these guys.  I tap the biggest one on the shoulder (because he was making the most comments) and yell with my shaker pointed at his face "Listen, are you a full time athlete and a full time student? I don't think so.  You couldn't do any of that even if you wanted to because you are a fat a**!!" So he yells back and me and his friend gets involved and says "We went to high school with Trotter so we are allowed to talk about him like this." EXCUSE ME! No you are not! He is a human being and is busting his butt at practice and in school and you think you can just put someone down like that? No! All of this happened right in the middle of our first touchdown.  This makes me mad because I can't even enjoy the touchdown because I am shaking with furry! This guy has made me miss the touchdown and I can't believe he is dogging our players and coaches like this.

After a few plays, Trotter throws a completion and I realize I am not going to be able to sit like this for the entire game.  So I politely tap him on the shoulder again and apologize for calling him names and calmly explain how it infuriates me that people put down other people to make themselves feel better.  He says he appreciates my apology and he shouldn't have gotten that worked up.  But for the rest of the game, his friend continued to dog cuss our players and coaches every move they made under his breathe.

Now if Brenden would have been at the game with me this whole situation would have been avoided because he would have never let me get in someone's face like that.  I am so embarrassing.  haha But it happened and I am glad I did it because these players go through a lot of crap.  Whether they are on scholarship or not these players put in long hours, get yelled out by the coaches, get dogged by the media, and still have to go to school and live their lives as normal as possible.  I don't know how they do it.  I hope these players know that a true Auburn fan would never put them down like those two guys and half of the student section does.  A true Auburn man or woman stands up for their family and would never consider them any lower than themselves.

          "...I believe in a sound mind, in a sound body and a spirit that is not afraid, and in clean sports that
          develop these qualities... and because Auburn men and women believe in these things, I BELIEVE IN
          AUBURN AND LOVE IT!" ~Lines from the Auburn Creed, George Petrie

No comments:

Post a Comment