Pages

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Manic Monday

Yesterday was a day.  That's all... just a day.  I procrastinated Sunday night so I could watch my shows and I would finish my homework before class on Monday.  I was casually eating breakfast in my kitchen on the bar and reading a passage for ethics that I had to answer questions on by 10am.  It's now 8:45am and I spill orange juice on the keypad of my MacBook. First thought, I'm going to have to buy a new computer.  Second, it's just orange juice how much damage could it do? I should have stuck with the first thought because that is exactly what I had to do.  I ran over to the AU Bookstore where we have an Apple Store (many students don't seem to know we have this amazing tool! Utilize it! We are one of two stores in the state of Alabama.) and talked to the tech guy and it was obvious I had fried the computer.  I went to class, made a phone call to my mother dearest and decided to buy a new laptop.  This world, well I should just say me, doesn't know how to function without a laptop!  I took notes the old school way with pen and paper and participated in class discussions.

After my first two classes, I headed back over to the bookstore where they scanned my credit card for a new MacBook Pro and I headed to the tech guys to move all my data over from my orange juiced computer to this sleek professional looking computer.  I told the guy not to touch it because it looked so fresh coming out of it's box. (haha) I went to my next class where I am planning The Hospitality Gala and it's only 10 days away (click on the blue to see the webpage).  It is crucial I have all my spreadsheets, Powerpoints, and word documents for this class and I'm unable to attain them because of my computer.  Oh well, it wasn't necessary for that class but I still need it to finish all the minor details for this event.  So after class I head back to the bookstore to pick up my laptop and go straight home to make sure everything is there and I'm able to access all my files.

I was suppose to have a meeting Monday afternoon to finalize a Powerpoint for the night of the event.  I click on the file and the programs won't open.  I need my product key from when I purchased it in December.  Okay, easy.  I'll go get the license from my filing cabinet and type it in... The CD (product key) is no where to be found.  I tear my filing cabinet apart trying to find that stupid black sleeve and never do.  So I call the bookstore hoping to get some help, "Well, if you can't find it by in the morning come by and we'll put in the product key for you."  So much for that meeting.  Post-poned.  I decide I've looked far and wide and it is no where to be find, I'll just wait until the morning.

I go to the bookstore this morning (Tuesday) and tell them I couldn't find it.  "Oh, we only have the 2008 version and you have the 2011 version.  Sorry. Call Microsoft and they should help you. IF you need proof of purchase, just come back."  I'm thinking to myself, I have spent so much money and time here in the past 24 hours and you are telling me to come back WHEN they need proof of purchase. UGH, fine.  So I go to a meeting, go to class, grab Chickfila (because it's irresistible), and call Microsoft.  After a 15 minute conversation, oh you've called the wrong line.  You have a Mac so you need to call Macafee. Maca-what? Okay, fine.  I call them, automated phone conversation.  Oh how those make me so mad! "Press 1 to be connected to blah, Press 2 to be connected to blah!" I finally get a lady on the phone and we have a 20 minute conversation, she takes all my information, and NOW she can transfer me to customer service.  Well thanks.  (and of course I can't understand a word any of these people I've talked to on the phone so far are saying)  I get this lady on the phone who can't do anything for me because she has to have her supervisor email me within the next 24 hours.  Well that doesn't help.  I needed these files accessed yesterday!! Oh and they need proof of purchase.  I go back to the bookstore to obtain my proof of purchase and I wait and wait and wait until 45 minutes pass and they can't find my receipt of when I purchased it.  By this time, I'm about ready to just buy a new program and install it.  BUT of course when it comes down to the crunch they always have something up their sleeves they just want to see you waste your whole afternoon before they do something for you.  10 minutes later, Word, Powerpoint, Excel, and Outlook are all working on my computer no problem!

So needless to say, the past 24 hours have been a heck of a time coming back from Spring Break.  BUT the day gets better.  No really, it does. :) I finally get home after running around campus and check my email.  I have an email I've been waiting for for a week now.  I have been accepted to go on a trip of a lifetime to Napa Valley, CA for the Hotel & Restaurant Management program all expenses paid to study wine and wineries for 9 days in May.  I will have the privilege to meet famous chefs, wine makers, and go on private tours through wineries.  AH! While this trip sounds so relaxing and fun, it is a study tour.  It is considered a class and I will be extremely busy in those 9 days.  I could not be more excited about how much this trip will benefit me in the long run for jobs, sommelier classes (wine masters), and learning more about the art of pair food with wine.  So to end these hectic 36 hours, I will be sipping red wine, watching the Biggest Loser and cooking a fabulous dinner for myself to unwind and be thankful for all the things I have in my life.

Until next time,

Kayla

No comments:

Post a Comment