Pages

Monday, March 21, 2011

Experience of a Lifetime

Last week could not have been a better week for me.  I needed to get away from life so bad.  I do not know what I'm going to do after graduation with a real job and no time to escape to the beach.  Earn my right to take vacation I guess.. haha

Spring Break started out in Destin, FL from Friday-Thursday.  I got to relax on the beach with perfect March weather and get a great tan for the gala coming up.  While I was at the beach, I had seafood, shopped at the outlets, and trained for my half-marathon.  Only one day was the training absolutely awful (10 miles at the beach on a Saturday, blah!).  But I did it and could not believe I actually finished 10 miles.  I got a little nervous though during the week because my left knee started to give me serious pain up my thigh and around my knee cap.  I only completed 5 of the 6 miles I was suppose to do on Tuesday but felt like it if wasn't for my knee, I could have easily completed the 6 miles.  The rest of the week was easy training and I was able to rest my knee (a little) to make it through the race on Sunday.

The last weekend of Spring Break I was in Atlanta, GA preparing myself for an event I never thought I would actually partake in: a half-marathon.  I was able to spend time with B's family, have a fabulous pasta dinner prepared by B, and completely destroy my March Madness bracket.  It was a great weekend and couldn't have been a better way to end Spring Break.

Sunday, the day of the race.  I woke up at 4:30 AM EST!!!! Take note: that is 3:30AM CST!!  I was so anxious to get the race started I just could not sleep.  I registered on Friday at the Georgia Dome where Publix had the entire football field covered with booths of health people, fitness guru's, clothes, shoes, food, physical therapist, and huge registration tables lined all the way down the visitors side.  I have never been to a health expo so I looked like a lost puppy walking through that huge mess.  I registered and received my bag with my shirt and bib in it.  I kept telling B, "I'm way out of my league.  These people are serious." He reassured me probably 50 times that my training will pay off and that no one will be looking at me because they will be worried about themselves.  Thank goodness he was right.

I could not have prepared myself for the amount of people that were at this race! It was an experience like no other!!! I completed my race in 2.27.31.  It took me three minutes to get to the starting line though (I already docked it off my time, hehe) so I was extremely proud of beating my goal.  B told me when I finished the first full marathoner finished 3 minutes before I did!! I couldn't believe him! 

The whole race was fantastic.  I was able to run through my dream city, through 4 universities, and over a bridge that crossed over 75/85S and look over and see the beautiful sky line as the sun was just rising.  It was magnificent.  I went through every emotion a human could go through during that race.  When I first started I wanted to cry because I was soo scared of all the intimidating runners, with their serious waist bands, serious outfits, and energy drinks attached to them.  I had never seen anything like it and felt completely out of place with plain Nike shorts on, an Underarmor workout shirt, and an Auburn hat.  The first few miles were calming.  I was able to look around enjoy my surroundings and not believe myself that I was seriously about to run 13.1 miles.  About half way through I was angry.  I didn't know why my knee was hurting so bad, I wanted it to pop or something so it would fix itself, and I wanted somebody to be on the sidewalk holding a poster that said my name on it.  At about 8 miles, my anger was quickly gone, I began to think about the reason I came to run this race: Steve.  I was so excited he was running with me and that he had gotten me through the hills, the people, and out there to actually finish the race.  Mile 11, I could not believe my time, right around 2.00.00.  I was going to finish this race before my goal.  Well, thanks to a big hill I walked up the hill and ran the entire last mile because I was finishing that race at a run!   I got to the 13 mile mark and saw B.  He took pictures and ran with me on the sidewalk to the finish line! I had completed my first half-marathon.  The whole race I just kept thinking, PLEASE don't let me be the last one to cross the line.  So many people passed me and I just knew I was close to the end.  B told me I probably finished in the 40% which made me feel sooo great.

Without the support of everyone in my life, I could have never of finished that race.  I didn't want to let anyone down.  I had made it that far that my body would not let me quit.  Thank you for all your support in following me on this journey.  You all pushed me through it!! But to the person who pushed me to get out there and accomplish it, Steve.  No of this could have been done without him.  I am so happy he asked me every week how I was doing with my running.  Even if I didn't completely it while he was here on Earth, he was running with my Sunday in heaven right beside me carrying me through.  

I want to encourage anyone out there who is afraid of doing something to get out there and do it.  Go out of your comfort zone and do something you've always wanted to do but never in your wildest dreams pictured yourself doing.  If you need some help getting to that goal, I will help you.  The feeling of accomplishing something for yourself is so rewarding.  Take the time to do something for yourself.  Don't be afraid of the unknown.  It will be well worth it once you embark on some new territory. 

Have the courage to endure,

Kayla 

No comments:

Post a Comment