Pages

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Dedication and Determination

Hello friends.

It has been quite some time since I last posted.  Spring Break is this week and I completely isolated myself from computers and Internet access.  The reason I am on the Internet now is because I'm back to reality with school work, work work, gala planning, training, and everything else that goes on in my life.  Full force will hit Monday.  Especially since it's the day after my first half-marathon.  I could not be more excited about finishing this race.

I watched a few shows over break and some of the people in the shows lacked dedication, determination, self-awareness, and confidence.  While I was watching the episodes, it occurred to me that not everyone has the same characteristics as everyone else.  It is so hard to think that there are people in this world who do not have the drive to get up in the morning and do things for themselves or other people.  It is crazy for me to think about people not having confidence in themselves and awareness of how they control most aspects of their lives.  Then as I was shopping today it dawned on me how I obtained my strong characteristics of dedication, determination, self-awareness, and confidence.  I was mainly brought up that way but it took a little bit of myself to make those decisions for myself.  I was raised to be dedicated to everything I did 110%.  I was never allowed to quit teams and I most certainly never missed deadlines for projects.  Determination came from my skills in gymnastics and my father because he is so competitive.  I always wanted to be better and learn more.  Confidence could not have come from anywhere but within myself.  I was very awkward growing up and high school was not my finest moments.  Learning how to deal with rude/mean people and clothes never fitting and being the black sheep of the family made my confidence sky rocket when I came to college and found who I was.

Dedication and determination are such a natural thing for me now that I can't imagine not having it.  I always strive to be the best at everything I do and never let anyone down.  I set way too high of expectations but it keeps me on my toes.  If you don't have that natural drive, find something you are good at and reach for the stars.  Having confidence will only help with dedication and determination.  Like I've stated before my training has been difficult but I have been completely dedicated because I'm running for someone other than myself.  My determination can only come within myself to complete this 13.1 mile run and say to anyone who asks, "I completed my first half-marathon in 2.30.00."

Stay strong,

Kayla

No comments:

Post a Comment