Pages

Friday, December 17, 2010

College Teachings

It's been a crazy few days.  I can't seem to get my thoughts straight.  This semester I have been very distant from my friends and super close with my boyfriend and his friends.  While boys are nice, a girl has always got to have her girlfriends around for some things.  I reconnected with a lot of my close friends after finals.  It's like we hadn't been apart this whole semester.  We were right back to cutting up and gossiping just like we always do.  Girls nights are a must next semester.  Monday nights were so relieving with them.

While I have spent some time away from the girls and spent a lot more time with my boyfriend and his friends I can't say it's a bad thing.  They are some of the most genuinely nice guys a girl could ever have in her life.  They tolerated me through thick and thin.  I have learned to appreciate nice people because their aren't many of them out there.

Coming home is always a joy because I am such a family person.  My brother had to head back to Auburn the day I got home from Auburn so we won't see each other until a day or so before Christmas and then I leave for Jamaica.  My mom and me are so much alike.  We were really close in high school and have stayed closer through college as well.  My dad and I were not close in high school.  I got on his nerves!! Thankfully, college has opened my eyes to make me realize how important a father/daughter relationship is.  I need to call him more because I can't imagine not having him there to talk to.  My sister and I are at two different places in our lives right now.  I love her to death and hate that we can't see eye to eye.  Hopefully we will both mature into civil adults and be like a sister relationship should be.

Like I said, I love my family very much I just hate the pressure we put on each other sometimes.  Everyone expects so much from everyone and it's so hard to make them happy.  Growing up has been a hard lesson but I've enjoyed the battles I have faced (not many yet, but I feel them coming).  I have learned that you have to make decisions on your own and for your life.  Being an adult means that it's your life, not anyone else's.  If you go through life making decisions for everyone else's sake you will be miserable.  I've also learned that your parents really do know what they are talking about (DANG, I'm that girl! My grandparents always said I would be).  I turn to my parents for advice on almost everything.  I try and talk to my parents daily just to see if there is anything else I can learn from them that day. And definitely not the only other thing I learned but the most important thing.  Trust.  People are not out to get you (most of the time the aren't at least).  You don't have to put up a wall and tear people down just to get a reaction out of them.  When people say they love you, they actually mean it.  When people say, I'll be there for you whenever you need me, they really will be.

It's amazing how much college teaches you, outside of your major.  Life lessons are some of the best things I will take away from college.  Moving on and discovering different things is what's going to make you who you are.  Without that adventure you will always be that high schooler that thought they were the best thing to walk the campus.  You will never understand what the real world has in store for anyone willing to embark on it.  Take a chance and discover life.  It's pretty amazing what will happen when you just open your eyes.

Until next time,
K

No comments:

Post a Comment