Pages

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Human Touch

In a lot of my classes over the course of four years at Auburn, we have talked about the world become globalized.  Some may ask, what is that? What does it mean?  The world we live in has become so connected with countries and people that live on the other side of the globe.  Our world really is flat.  A conference call can be done with headquarters in Japan and a company in the United States within seconds.  Making it so managers do not have to visit headquarters or CEO's never have to check up on their individual companies.

To me, this is a lazy excuse.  We has humans (leaving businesses out of this) think it is just okay to just text one of our best friends to see how they have been.  We think because we are friends on Facebook and see all their posts that we are somehow still be emotionally connected to that person.  How is our friend we are stalking suppose to know we actually care if all we do is 'like' a status and never actually have a real live conversation with that person?

Telephones (meaning picking up the phone and having a conversation) have become extinct to some people.  This is a huge problem.  Especially because our alternative is texting and driving.  You can't tell me that you get the full idea of what someone is trying to get across is a lyrical status, a silly Tweet, or a text message.  And you definitely can't pay full attention when you are driving (well at least you shouldn't be).  One thing I am trying to make a habit of is not using my phone in the car.  It is extremely hard!  I am still guilty of using it on occasion but the more I think about how important an actual conversation is with someone the less my phone matters to me.  Talking to the anonymous world of Twitter is not the last point of contact I want to have before I die.

Let's not lose connections or relationships with someone because all we do is "talk" online.  We'll lose sight of who people really are when all we do is look at what they post on the internet.  This goes for people and businesses.  One of the most important things I have learned in the past four years as a Hotel and Restaurant Management major is that human touch (not a physical touch) is the most important part of a guests' experience.  It should be the same for a person to person contact as well.  The human touch experiences mean much more to a guest (or person) than a reply to a Facebook post.

Disclaimer: I am not saying that all of social networking is terrible because everyone knows I use every bit of it.  However, if that is the only form of communication you have with someone you might want to reevaluate that relationship.

To reconnecting with the world,

Kayla

No comments:

Post a Comment