Pages

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Do You Know Your Strengths?

Yesterday, I had an extremely long day.  It started with a 6am-2pm shift at the hotel followed by an SOS/Camp War Eagle (CWE) retreat that lasted from 3:30-7pm.  I was excited to go but went into it thinking it would be just a long staff meeting.  It most definitely was not.

The last part of the meeting focused on our goals and expectations for the next spring which was a great way to get us all focused for the next semester and training new orientation leaders.  But the first part was very interesting.  The career services came and spoke to us about an assessment each one of us took to learn what our strengths are.  This test is called Strengths Quest.  The assessment reveals your top 5 strengths out of 34 talents (or strengths).  My top 5 strengths are Achiever (no surprise), Significance, Focus, Activator, and Responsibility.  All of these I thought were just like me except for Significance.  After reading the description I thought, "Oh, I know exactly why that describes me."  The brief description for significance is you are independent and want to be recognized.  The old me would say that being recognized is the most important but now I would say that being recognized is not what it is all about.  It's about doing things for people whether they know you did it or not.  I like to hear thank you's from people but I'm not going to be upset if I don't hear one.

The interesting thing about this assessment is that there are 34 talents (or strengths) that you can be assessed.  You can take it as many times as you like but your top 5 do not change much.  Studies show that you will stay within your top 10 strengths and vary little.  If you have a strength in your top 5 that you do not think matches you well, it is probably a strength you haven't developed yet.  Focus on that strength and make it stronger than ever.  A successful person knows what their strengths are, what they need assistance with, and is not afraid to ask for help when they know they aren't good in certain areas. Do you know what your strengths are?

No comments:

Post a Comment