Pages

Monday, September 12, 2011

September 11th, 2001

Today marks the 10 year reunion of the biggest tragedy I've ever experienced in my life.  I was in the 6th grade when the world trade center towers fell to the ground.  It was a unusual Tuesday because by lunch time no one was in school.  There was enough to keep all the teachers and faculty there but it seemed so empty.  In eighth period, the last period of the day, Mr. Berry told the four out of twenty-five kids left what was going on.  The middle school decided it would be better if we did not know what was going on so the teachers weren't allowed to say anything about the matter.  But with five minutes left of school Mr. Berry, my history teacher, told us what had happened that morning.

I began to walk home right after this thinking, what is the world trade center? What is a terrorist attack? Why did everyone check out because of that? When I got home, my mom was sitting on her bed watching the news.  For an hour I sat there and watched the news trying to figure out what this problem was all about.  Mom tried to explain it to me but a little 6th grader who has no idea what a terrorist attack is doesn't listen very well.

On the one year anniversary, I was in Mr. Ward's government and civics class when an announcement came over the intercom to stand for a moment of silence in remembrance of all the people we lost on that day.  I remember standing there praying and hoping that everything in the world would go back to normal.  Since that day, in 2001, things have never been the same.  Walking home after school isn't an option.  Playing in the neighborhood until 8 or 9 at night is not an option anymore.  Watching your Dad fly off to a conference at the gate is not an option.  Being carefree is not an option.

I am forever grateful for the service men and women who lost their lives on that day.  I look up to those families who have spent the last 10 years trying to explain to their children what happened and make it through this crazy world alone.  I am inspired by the strength those people had who worked in the world trade centers.  It can't be easy to be in a building knowing you are going to die and there is nothing you can do about it.  This day will forever be embedded in my heart.  September 11th changed this nation but we will always be united because of that day.  Tragedy makes faith grow stronger and that's exactly what this country needs every single day.


*This blog is written in remembrance of the September 11, 2001 victims and their families.*

No comments:

Post a Comment